The blog of Hannah Robinson, artist, illustrator and graphic designer.

Sunday 6 November 2011

In Preparation

Next week I am doing my first craft fair of the year. I've learnt some lessons from last year; namely not to burn myself out. In 2010 I spent many sleepless nights getting stock together for various fairs I'd signed up for, and as a result made myself unwell, and never wanted to look at fimo ever again. It took me until this summer to get my enthusiasm back.
This year I've got it right I think: I've chosen two fairs to do. The first one, next week, will be at a really exciting venue - the Green Backyard in Peterborough. It's a piece of reclaimed wasteland and one of our city's major success stories; the land has been converted into a place for growing vegetables, carving, murals, sculptures... there are some buildings which have been made from scrap bits of other buildings... I went there today to check out where our table would be and I fell in love with the place. I can't do it justice on here so I'll take some photographs to show you all, and if you are ever in Peterborough, trust me, you have to check it out. For now, here's the website.
Next week my friend and partner in crime Carly will be at the fair with me, we will be showcasing our new products from our illustration collaborative Pirate Unicorn. Stay tuned...
The next fair is at King's School, Peterborough, on the 25th. I'm really looking forward to this one. The kids last year were very excited about my stuff and I had a great time chatting to them, their enthusiasm was so encouraging and refreshing. That was the fair that culminated in me being poorly, but I think it was my frenzied fortnight of preparation beforehand rather than school germs.


Some of you will know that I have two outlets online: the fimo/plushie/kawaii side, and the arty illustrator-y side. I have decided to lay the online kawaii shop to rest as of January 2012 to focus on my cards and illustrations. I have a tough time promoting two shops, one usually ends up neglected plus the listing fees start to bite when you have a total of three shops (Two Folksy, one Etsy). So SweetSuzy will be put to bed in a couple of months time. Everything is reduced. The stock in there tends to do better at fairs, perhaps it has something to do with people being able to see the items there in front of them?


My Zines have sold well this week, giving me good reason to grin. And the Midlands Zine Group on  WeMakeZines are hopefully going to hold a meet soon, which I am majorly excited about too. Almost too much excitement!


And last of all, a shameless plug: my latest illustration available as a postcard on my shop. Go have a lookie.
Off to watch Merlin on the iplayer...

5 comments:

  1. I hope all your hard work pays off, have a very successful fairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still putting my toe in the water on this type of promotion. Have one coming up sometime in December at our local Church's School Christmas Bazaar. Hopefully a good time for selling toys!!

    Good luck with you upcoming jaunts - may they be truly successful.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem hard to promote two shops, and I don't think I could do it. I'll have to check out SweetSuzy and see your great, reduced prices.

    Good luck on the craft show! I hope you do well, and I can't wait to read all about it.

    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hannah, your stuff is so adorable. I totally know what you mean by ending up being burnt out by craft fairs. Almost 2 years ago, I signed up for a big one, almost last minute..so for weeks I worked non-stop and didn't get any sleep. I did quite well at the show, but by the end I was just too overwhelmed by the whole thing. Good luck.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete