The blog of Hannah Robinson, artist, illustrator and graphic designer.

Saturday 26 February 2011

The deadly swarm


Okay, I don't want anyone to think I'm in the habit of spewing negativity onto my blog. Call this a cleansing exercise rather than a cry for help. When I saw the word 'swarm' for this week's Illustration Friday brief, nothing really came to mind despite my best efforts, and I thought I might give this week a miss. Until this morning, when this idea crept into my mind...

With all that's going on in the economy at the moment, I won't deny that sometimes the negative demons come thick and fast, after I haven't had interest after my latest promotion drive, or after I've heard nothing about the billionth job application I've sent off. I hope I'm not alone here, being a freelancer can be a lonely and daunting experience, and if we're not careful, we can all be victims of "the swarm". So, here is me, beset by the swarm of nasty thoughts. Perhaps someone can draw me a suitable weapon to beat them back?
This is rushed and purely done for fun rather the portfolio. Better than nothing though. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand being in the same both as a freelancer in Melbourne Australia. It's always hard not to have doubts or wonder if you're good enough and the fear of not finding work. Great idea and I like the simplicity of the character in your illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels as if we're swimming upstream sometimes, doesn't it?

    Don't give up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am just coming out of that swarm, a phone call with my brother made me angry mainly at his low opinion of my abilities and his lack of acknoladgement of all I have achieved, Its amazing what fuel anger can make when directed correctly :).

    Your illustration is wonderful wrap them negative words up in positive encouragment and smother the little blighters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we can all relate, but I think we are all able to draw our own weapons to fight off these evil thoughts! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete